CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electrical issue on my '97

Dotetcher

I've never had good experiences with Interstate, and getting replacements fucking sucks.  They wouldn't deal with it on the weekend at all.  These days, I would only buy a battery from Sam's or Costco.  Good price, no bullshit, easy replacement.  I bought an ancient RV years ago that came with six year old abused Costco batteries, and still got another couple years.  Now Oscar has that RV, with abuse Sam's batteries...how are they doing?

18 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Die Hards were good a very long time ago, then went to shit.  Haven't seen one in many years so no idea how they are today.  Interstate has a strong following, in my experience they kinda suck.  I use Walmart and Oreilly house brand and have had good luck with both.

I don't know why battery love/hate is so mixed.  Maybe different areas get different batteries with the same name, or just people's luck and/or prejudice.

Check your tractor's charging system to make sure it's not killing them.  If it sits for long periods that could be what's killing them and charging between uses should help.

Thanks for the advice.

Tractor is practically new, 2018 model bought in 2019, and since then, and in the middle of the first battery failure, it went into the shop for its first warranty check over since purchase and all systems checked out green as expected.    I had just done the first battery swap a month or 2 before taking into shop and advised them of what happened so they made sure to check charging system more thoroughly.

I have heard stories that the old original style batteries they make are from multiple suppliers, so just not sure if there is a quality control issue, and maybe that is why they offer the unconditional replacement for the first 2 years.

Regardless, trust is gone, so if this 3rd replacement fails, I think Sams Club/Walmart seems like the next place for me.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:28 AM, blackhawkxx said:

I have been running NAPA batteries in bikes and cars/trucks and have had no issues.

Just took a look at NAPA, looks like some decent choices and prices.

Not familiar with the AGM batteries.  Any opinions one way or the other?

If this latest battery dies, I might make a beeline to NAPA.    For reference, this last Diehard  battery  DIED in 2 months  LOL  I kid you not.   :wacko:

Still need to check out the Wally/Sams as well, just in case.

1 minute ago, lordzarkon said:

Not familiar with the AGM batteries.  Any opinions one way or the other?

I can tell you that the spiral ones like Optima seem impossible to kill, but always have much less storage than the same battery size in a normal form.  For a starting battery that's fine, for deep cycle duty that can be a challenge.  But I've seen them survive some extreme abuse.

I put a Sam's Club AGM into the last Jeep when I shook its OEM battery into a pulp.  It was not spiral, just a square AGM.  Much harder to break in a rough application.  "Why does this old battery sound like a glass factory turned upside down?"

• Upvote 1

I hadn't considered shock/vibration, maybe that's what's been killing them.  If so, AGM would do better.  Optima style probably can't get fucked up without destroying the case.

Technically an AGM should have a charging system designed for it, but it doesn't seem to really matter.

6 minutes ago, lordzarkon said:

and not get stuck out in the middle of the field again

If that has happened it implies a charging issue or bad connection.

2 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

If that has happened it implies a charging issue or bad connection.

Nope   Already covered that above.     When this first happened, tractor went into shop for a full look over

Plus, it's brand new at least in tractor terms.   2018 bought NEW in 2019 and maybe got 300 hrs on it.

IF and when this latest one dies, I know where to go next   :ph34r: