CBR1100XX.org Forum

Removing the EFI fuel tank to route few wires from battery to speedo

Tom

I'm not exactly well versed in mechanics, but I've read few threads here on removing the fuel tank...and I would like to ask, maybe if someone knows a "trick", how to remove the fuel tank just enough so I can route a few wires from battery to the gauge cluster. Is removing the 2 bolts under the front part of the seat and lifting the tank a bit enough? Or should I take it all down, meaning fuel lines, vacuum lines etc.

Thanks!

Here's what I would do if I just wanted to run a couple wires.

*Remove the seat.

*Remove the two bolts holding down the rear of the tank.

*Pop the trim panels away from the tank in the rear.

*Lift the rear of the tank an inch or two. It might be helpful to release the wiring to the tank from the clip on the left side of the tank mount.

*Gently run a stiff wire from the rear to the front of the tank to grab and pull your more flexible wiring through.  It's hot under there, be sure it is adequately insulated.

*Put it back together.

For the record, I rarely remove a tank.  For almost any need, the tank can be removed from its mounts and rotated up in the front, then over to rest on its top (think backflip) with adequate padding.  As I recall, it's helpful to disconnect the fuel pump and sending unit wiring and pull one or two vacuum hoses...nothing more.  If you have some way or someone to support the tank upright, even that is unnecessary.  No need to disconnect fuel lines or anything else.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rockmeupto125 said:

Here's what I would do if I just wanted to run a couple wires....

This.  I often used a hammer or block of wood to lift the rear of the tank enough to route stuff under it.

If you want to install quick disconnects on the fuel lines (there's a thread on when I did this), you can easily remove the fuel tank without having to drain it.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?/topic/70322-diy-fuel-line-ez-disconnect/&tab=comments#comment-818895

Edited by Zero Knievel

1 hour ago, Zero Knievel said:

This.  I often used a hammer or block of wood to lift the rear of the tank enough to route stuff under it.

If you want to install quick disconnects on the fuel lines (there's a thread on when I did this), you can easily remove the fuel tank without having to drain it.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?/topic/70322-diy-fuel-line-ez-disconnect/&tab=comments#comment-818895

Hey, man, thanks for the reminder..... I am going to replace air filter and plugs next week and forgot all about that shit that you did. I’ll take pictures to show how well your handiwork has held up.

3 hours ago, SwampNut said:

If you have a place to hang a strap, you can "float" the tank too.  

41A2620A-FFE9-4E47-8321-8AA2EDBA9CF6_1_105_c.jpeg

You can strap the tank to passenger grab handle.

I used this method also. By hanging the front of the tank from the ceiling you get more access. However, this stresses the fuel line enough that mine started weeping from the crimp. For that reason I am not a fan of this method, especially if you still have original 20 Y/O lines. If you do this I recommend to double check for leaks before you ride off into the sunset. 

agree with the above about using a block or strap to get enough space under the tank for your needs.

i love having quick disconnects to be able to easily remove the tank entirely.  i had some plastic ones from motion pro that lasted a few years before leaking, then i found metal ones on this site;

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/fuliqudise.html

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking on going with full removal of the tank, for the filter and all, but I really have no place to do it (bike is in a underground garage in my apartment building) so just propping up the tank a little bit to run couple of wires from battery to the cluster will be enough, I don't want to yank some rubber hose out and then forget where it went or second guess :D

13 hours ago, ptxyz said:

agree with the above about using a block or strap to get enough space under the tank for your needs.

i love having quick disconnects to be able to easily remove the tank entirely.  i had some plastic ones from motion pro that lasted a few years before leaking, then i found metal ones on this site;

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/fuliqudise.html

There's a passel on that site.  Which ones did you use?

you'll want 1/4" & 5/16", i'd get both with 90 degree fittings.

old thread when i did 'em (you can see a bit much of a bend in the fuel line for the straight fitting...);

i'd order these;

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdisconktm.html

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscongs2.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Went over to my friends garage and we started with taking out those 2 bolts holding the tank. The idea was to lift it a bit and route wires.

Then I saw the original loom routed down on the left side of the frame, and being unecessarily autistic about making things "proper" I tried to find a way to easily reach there so my wiring can be next to the original loom.

And now we're here.

SGFjT6H.jpg

Let's go! :D

Edited by FTM
  • Like 1